Who we are becoming:
A movement of God to serve individuals 18 and over with documented physical and/or intellectual disabilities. We are built on the foundations of the Gospel of Christ, its inherent truth, and its power over and through our lives. We invite you to join us on the journey of empowering the disability community in the Jackson Metro Area, Mississippi, and ultimately the United States with the love of Jesus Christ.
Why we are called:
One Shred of Hope believes that as God’s children, one way we can serve Him is to follow His example of treating people affected by disability with love and acceptance. In Luke 14, God commands us to, "invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind and you will be blessed...make them come in so my house will be full." We believe God has called us to befriend families affected by disability, who often face the struggle of disability alone. On an individual basis, we can come alongside these families to bear their burdens, celebrate their successes, and learn from their life (Romans 12:15).
God’s house is full and complete when people affected by disability are present. We believe that the instructions given in Luke 14 should be applied to our communities. People with disabilities may possess limitations and inadequacies, as defined by the world’s standards, which causes the incorrect assumption that they cannot and do not have the desire to participate in the community. One Shred of Hope believes that the contrary is reality. Each member of the body has equal value and importance. The body does not function at its full potential when a member is missing or inactive (1 Corinthians 12:12-27, Romans 12:3-8). Individuals with disabilities can and do have a desire to participate in their communities. When they are given the opportunity to use their God given gifts and engage as integral components, the community is complete and stronger.
To empower families affected by disabilities
To share the Gospel of Christ, equip people with disabilities to live independently, and create system change at the policy level
Ephesians 4:4-5 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism.
• Create energy efficient, affordable, and accessible housing for people affected by disability
• Provide opportunities for individuals affected by disability to positively impact their communities through missions and volunteer work
• Increase employment opportunities for people affected by disabilities by:
knowing individuals’ requirements for success
actively seeking meaningful employment opportunities that match individuals' requirements for success, strengths, and desires
providing necessary supports such as job coaches, transportation, training and/or educational assistance
Statement of Faith
• We believe that the New and Old Testaments are the Word of God
and should be used to guide us. (Psalm 119:105)
• We believe in one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (1 John 5:7)
• We believe that all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God.
(Romans 3:23, Revelation 21:8)
• We believe that the wages (payment) of sin is death and eternal separation from God. (Romans 6:23, Revelation 21:8)
• We believe that while we were sinners God sent His only Son, Jesus, to Earth in the form of man yet fully God to be born of the Virgin Mary to pay the death penalty on the cross for our sin. (John 3:16, Romans 5:8, John 1:1-2;14, Matthew 1:25, Acts 2:31)
• We believe Jesus was buried and rose again on the third day.
(Acts 2:31, John 19:41-42; 20:9, 1 Corinthians 15:4)
• We believe that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you shall be saved. (Romans 10:9)
• We believe that salvation and eternity with God cannot be earned, but can be obtained through faith alone. (John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-9, Romans 4:5)
• We believe that God sees His children not in their sin, but as faultless.
(2 Corinthians 5:21)
• We believe that God is preparing a place for His children to spend eternity with Him and will return to bring them to Himself. (John 14:3)
• We believe that God will create a New Heaven and a New Earth.
• We believe in the great commission to preach the gospel to ALL nations (including people with disabilities) baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey all that He commanded. (Matthew 28:19-20)
• We believe that people with disabilities deserve the opportunity to make their own choices and live meaningful, productive, and impactful lives for Jesus Christ.
• We believe that families affected by disability should be treated with the love of Christ and should be aided in making their dreams reality.
Board of Directors
Joe Little- President
Bobby Dungan- Vice President
Rodney Cummins- Secretary